Here is an accurate and concise Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes Recipe for you to enjoy. Made with oats and traditional Swedish flavors, these pancakes are a delicious and wholesome option for breakfast or brunch.
Introducing a unique twist to the classic pancake recipe, Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes offer a delightful blend of texture and taste. Made with hearty oats and infused with traditional Swedish flavors, these pancakes are a perfect choice for a wholesome and delicious start to your day.
Baked to perfection, the pancakes boast a light and fluffy interior, with a subtle crunch from the oats. The recipe brings together simple ingredients such as oats, flour, milk, eggs, and a touch of sweetness from sugar and vanilla extract. Topped with your favorite fresh fruits or traditional Swedish lingonberry jam, these pancakes offer a satisfying balance of flavors. So, let’s dive into this Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes Recipe and create a delightful breakfast treat.
Why Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes Are The Perfect Breakfast Delight
Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes are a delightful breakfast option that combines the goodness of oatmeal with a fluffy pancake. This recipe is perfect for those looking to start their day with a healthy and satisfying meal.
Start your day off right with a plate of delicious and wholesome Swedish oatmeal pancakes. Packed with the goodness of oats and whole grains, these pancakes offer a satisfying and nutritious start to your mornings. In this blog post, we will explore the health benefits of oats and whole grains, as well as take a look at a traditional Swedish pancake recipe with a healthy twist.
Health Benefits Of Oats And Whole Grains:
- Rich in dietary fiber: Oats and whole grains are excellent sources of dietary fiber, which helps promote healthy digestion and prevents constipation.
- Heart-healthy: The soluble fiber found in oats and whole grains is known to help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Nutrient-rich: Oats are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, including manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc.
- Sustained energy: Due to their complex carbohydrates, oats and whole grains provide a steady release of energy, keeping you full and satisfied for longer periods.
Satisfying And Nutritious Start To The Day:
- Oatmeal pancakes are not only delicious but also nourishing, making them the perfect choice for a wholesome breakfast.
- The combination of oats and whole grains in these pancakes provides a balanced mix of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats, giving you sustained energy throughout the morning.
- By incorporating oats into your breakfast, you can experience improved satiety and reduced cravings, leading to better portion control and weight management.
Traditional Swedish Pancake Recipe With A Healthy Twist:
- Swedish oatmeal pancakes are a delightful variation of the classic Swedish pancakes, adding a nutritious twist to the traditional recipe.
- To make these pancakes, simply substitute a portion of the flour with oats or oat flour. This not only enhances the flavor but also boosts the nutritional value.
- Oats add a subtly nutty taste and a pleasant texture, creating pancakes that are both hearty and satisfying.
- Top your Swedish oatmeal pancakes with fresh fruits, yogurt, or a drizzle of maple syrup for a delightful and guilt-free breakfast treat.
Elevate your breakfast experience with Swedish oatmeal pancakes, combining the health benefits of oats and whole grains with a scrumptious and satisfying meal. Give this traditional recipe a try, and start your day on a nutritious and delicious note.
Ingredients For Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes
These Swedish oatmeal pancakes are made with a delightful combination of oats, eggs, milk, and flour, resulting in a fluffy and nutritious breakfast treat. Serve them with your favorite toppings for a delicious start to your day.
- Rolled oats are the key ingredient in Swedish oatmeal pancakes, giving them their unique texture and flavor.
- These oats are made by steaming and flattening the oat groats, which results in a quick-cooking and creamy consistency.
- Rolled oats are rich in dietary fiber, which helps promote digestion and keeps you feeling full for longer.
- They are also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including iron, magnesium, and zinc.
- Adding rolled oats to your pancakes not only enhances their nutritional value but also gives them a delightful chewiness.
- All-purpose flour is another crucial ingredient in Swedish oatmeal pancakes, providing the necessary structure and texture to the pancakes.
- It is a versatile type of flour that is suitable for various baking applications.
- All-purpose flour contains a moderate amount of gluten, a protein that gives elasticity to dough and helps with the rising process.
- Using all-purpose flour ensures that your pancakes turn out fluffy and light while still maintaining their structure.
- When combined with rolled oats, all-purpose flour creates a perfect balance in the pancake batter, resulting in a satisfying bite.
- Sugar adds sweetness and enhances the flavor of Swedish oatmeal pancakes.
- The amount of sugar needed can vary depending on personal taste preferences.
- Sugar not only provides taste but also helps with browning and caramelization during cooking.
- You can choose to use granulated sugar, brown sugar, or a combination of both for added depth of flavor.
- Keep in mind that adding too much sugar can make the pancakes overly sweet, so it’s best to start with a moderate amount and adjust according to your liking.
- Baking powder is an essential leavening agent in Swedish oatmeal pancakes.
- It helps the pancakes rise by releasing carbon dioxide gas when combined with liquid and heat.
- Baking powder consists of an acid (such as cream of tartar) and a base (such as baking soda), which react together to create the leavening effect.
- By incorporating baking powder into the pancake batter, you ensure a light and fluffy texture.
- Make sure to use fresh baking powder to achieve the desired rise in your pancakes.
- Salt may seem like a small component, but it plays a vital role in Swedish oatmeal pancakes.
- Salt enhances the overall flavor of the pancakes, helping to balance the sweetness and bring out the other ingredients’ natural tastes.
- Additionally, salt can have a slight effect on the texture of the pancakes, contributing to a tender and moist crumb.
- Just a pinch of salt is enough to make a noticeable difference in the final outcome of your pancakes.
- Don’t skip this ingredient, as it can elevate the overall taste experience.
- Milk is the liquid base for Swedish oatmeal pancakes, adding moisture and creaminess to the batter.
- You can use any type of milk you prefer, such as whole milk, skim milk, or plant-based alternatives like almond milk or oat milk.
- The amount of milk needed may vary depending on the desired consistency of the batter. Adjust it accordingly to achieve the perfect thickness.
- Milk also provides additional protein and calcium to the pancakes, making them more nutritious.
- The choice of milk can influence the flavor of the pancakes, so select one that complements the other ingredients well.
- Eggs serve as a binding agent in Swedish oatmeal pancakes, helping to hold the ingredients together and provide structure.
- They also contribute to the pancakes’ richness and add moisture to the batter.
- Eggs act as a leavening agent as well, contributing to the pancakes’ rise and fluffiness.
- Using fresh eggs is important to ensure the best results in terms of texture and taste.
- Including eggs in your pancake recipe provides a good source of protein and essential nutrients.
- Butter is a key ingredient in Swedish oatmeal pancakes, adding richness and a luscious flavor to the pancakes.
- It provides moisture and tenderness to the batter, resulting in soft and melt-in-your-mouth pancakes.
- Butter also adds a delightful golden color to the pancakes when cooked.
- You can use melted butter in the pancake batter or as a topping when serving.
- If you prefer a dairy-free option, consider using a plant-based alternative like coconut oil or margarine.
Step-By-Step Instructions For Making Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes
Learn how to make delicious Swedish oatmeal pancakes with our easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions. This recipe is perfect for a hearty and nutritious breakfast or brunch option.
Soaking the oats:
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of oats with 1 cup of buttermilk.
- Stir well to ensure all the oats are evenly coated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Mixing dry ingredients:
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Make sure the dry ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Incorporating wet ingredients:
- Take the bowl of soaked oats out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat 2 eggs and add 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the soaked oats, and stir until well combined.
Cooking the pancakes:
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Grease the skillet lightly with butter or cooking spray.
- Pour approximately 1/4 cup of the pancake batter onto the skillet for each pancake.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
Serving suggestions and toppings:
- Serve the Swedish oatmeal pancakes warm, stacked on a plate.
- Drizzle with maple syrup or honey for a touch of sweetness.
- Top with fresh berries, sliced bananas, or toasted nuts for added flavor and texture.
- Dust with powdered sugar for an extra special presentation.
Enjoy these delicious and wholesome Swedish oatmeal pancakes for a delightful breakfast or brunch option. They are both satisfying and nutritious, making them a perfect way to start the day. So follow the step-by-step instructions and create these tasty pancakes in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Variations And Modifications For Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes
Discover a variety of delicious variations and modifications for Swedish oatmeal pancakes, including toppings like berries, nuts, and syrup, to enhance the flavors of this mouthwatering breakfast recipe. These easy-to-make pancakes are a healthy and satisfying way to start your day.
Adding Fruits And Nuts For Extra Flavor And Texture:
- Enhancing the delightful taste and texture of Swedish oatmeal pancakes can be easily achieved by incorporating a variety of fruits and nuts. Here are some ways to elevate your pancakes with these delectable additions:
- Sliced bananas: Adding thinly sliced bananas to the pancake batter provides a natural sweetness and creamy texture. The bananas can be mixed into the batter or placed on top of each pancake as they cook.
- Fresh berries: Whether it’s succulent strawberries, juicy blueberries, or tangy raspberries, incorporating fresh berries into the batter adds bursts of vibrant flavor. Gently fold the berries into the batter to distribute them evenly.
- Chopped nuts: For an enticing crunch, sprinkle a handful of chopped nuts such as almonds, pecans, or walnuts into the pancake batter. The nuts not only add texture but also provide extra nutrients to your pancake indulgence.
Vegan And Gluten-Free Alternatives:
- For those following a vegan or gluten-free lifestyle, fear not! Swedish oatmeal pancakes can easily be adapted to suit your dietary preferences. Here are some alternatives for a plant-based and gluten-free pancake experience:
- Flaxseed or chia seed eggs: Replace traditional eggs with a mixture of ground flaxseeds or chia seeds combined with water. These vegan egg substitutes create a similar binding effect in the pancake batter.
- Plant-based milk: Instead of using dairy milk, opt for plant-based alternatives such as almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk. These dairy-free options still provide a creamy consistency and a touch of nuttiness to the pancakes.
- Gluten-free flour: Swap out all-purpose flour with gluten-free alternatives like oat flour, almond flour, or a gluten-free baking blend. These flours retain the same pancake texture while accommodating gluten sensitivities.
Substituting Ingredients To Suit Dietary Preferences:
- Adapting Swedish oatmeal pancakes to cater to specific dietary preferences is effortless. By swapping out a few key ingredients, you can create pancakes that align with your needs. Consider the following substitutions:
- Sweeteners: Adjust the sweetness level by using alternative sweeteners like maple syrup, honey, or coconut sugar. Each imparts its own distinct flavor profile, allowing you to personalize your pancake experience.
- Dairy substitutions: Replace dairy-based ingredients like butter and milk with suitable alternatives such as vegan butter or margarine and non-dairy milk options. These substitutions maintain the desired consistency without compromising taste.
- Egg replacements: If you’re looking to avoid eggs, try swapping them with ingredients like applesauce, mashed bananas, or yogurt. These provide moisture and binding properties, resulting in fluffy and delicious pancakes.
- Flour variations: Experiment with different types of flour, such as whole wheat flour, buckwheat flour, or even a gluten-free flour blend. Each type of flour brings unique flavors and textures to your Swedish oatmeal pancakes.
- Incorporating dietary preferences into Swedish oatmeal pancakes allows you to enjoy a personalized and fulfilling breakfast experience.
Tips And Tricks To Perfect Your Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes
Discover the secrets to making perfect Swedish oatmeal pancakes with these expert tips and tricks. Elevate your breakfast game and impress your guests with this delicious and nutritious recipe.
Looking to master the art of making Swedish oatmeal pancakes? Look no further! With a few simple tips and tricks, you’ll be able to create fluffy and delicious pancakes every time. Check out the following suggestions to take your Swedish oatmeal pancakes to the next level:
Preparing The Batter In Advance:
- Mix dry ingredients: Combine rolled oats, all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, and milk until well combined.
- Combine the batter: Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring gently until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Let it rest: Allow the batter to rest for at least 10 minutes, giving the oats time to soak up the liquids and soften.
Adjusting Consistency For Desired Thickness:
- Too thick? If your batter appears too thick, simply add a small amount of milk to thin it out. Stir well and check the consistency before adding more liquid.
- Too thin? If the batter seems too thin, sprinkle in a small amount of flour and mix until you achieve the desired thickness. Always make adjustments in small increments to avoid overcorrecting.
Cooking Time And Temperature Tips:
- Preheat your pan: It’s important to preheat your pan or griddle over medium heat before cooking the pancakes. This ensures even heating and prevents sticking.
- Keep it medium: Maintain a medium heat setting throughout the cooking process to achieve golden-brown pancakes. High heat may result in undercooked centers and burned exteriors.
- Test for readiness: Drop a small amount of batter onto the pan. If it sizzles and bubbles form around the edges, it’s time to flip the pancake.
- Use a spatula: Gently slide a spatula underneath the pancake, lifting it slightly to check the color. Flip only when the bottom is evenly browned.
Flipping Techniques For Fluffy Pancakes:
- Practice patience: Avoid flipping too early. Allow the pancake to cook until bubbles form on the surface and the edges begin to look set.
- Smooth and steady: When ready to flip, use a smooth and steady motion to turn the pancake over. Aim for a 180-degree flip, ensuring it lands back in the pan without any folds or twists.
- Achieve fluffiness: To achieve maximum fluffiness, don’t press the pancake down with the spatula after flipping. Let it rise and cook evenly on the other side.
- Serve immediately: Once both sides are golden brown and the pancake is cooked through, transfer it to a plate and serve immediately for the best texture and taste.
With these tips and tricks, your Swedish oatmeal pancakes are sure to be a hit. Enjoy their delightful texture and flavor as you savor each bite. Happy pancake making!
Health Benefits Of Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes
Discover the health benefits of Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes, a nutritious and delicious breakfast option. Packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals, this recipe promotes overall well-being and supports a balanced diet. Enjoy the goodness of these pancakes while nourishing your body.
Swedish oatmeal pancakes are not only delicious but also offer several health benefits that make them a great addition to your breakfast routine. Here are some reasons why you should consider incorporating these nutritious pancakes into your diet:
Rich In Fiber, Vitamins, And Minerals
- Fiber: Swedish oatmeal pancakes are a fantastic source of dietary fiber. Fiber aids in digestion, preventing constipation and promoting regular bowel movements.
- Vitamins: These pancakes contain various essential vitamins, including vitamin B complex, vitamin E, and vitamin K. These vitamins play a crucial role in maintaining overall health and supporting the proper functioning of the body.
- Minerals: Swedish oatmeal pancakes boast an array of minerals like iron, magnesium, and zinc, which are vital for various bodily functions, such as carrying oxygen to cells, maintaining bone health, and supporting the immune system.
Promotes Heart Health
- Cholesterol control: The high fiber content in Swedish oatmeal pancakes can help lower levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol, reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Oats are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have been linked to improved heart health by reducing inflammation and promoting proper blood clotting.
Helps In Weight Management
- Satiety: Due to their high fiber content, Swedish oatmeal pancakes can help you feel fuller for longer, reducing the chances of overeating or snacking between meals.
- Low in calories: These pancakes are relatively low in calories compared to traditional pancake recipes, making them a guilt-free option for those watching their weight.
Sustained Energy Release Throughout The Day
- Complex carbohydrates: Swedish oatmeal pancakes are made with whole grain oats, which are a complex carbohydrate. This type of carbohydrate provides a steady release of energy, helping you stay energized and focused throughout the day.
- Blood sugar control: The slow release of sugars into the bloodstream from the complex carbohydrates in these pancakes helps regulate blood sugar levels, preventing sudden spikes and crashes.
Incorporating Swedish oatmeal pancakes into your breakfast routine can provide a range of health benefits, from supporting heart health to aiding in weight management. So why not whip up a batch of these delicious and nutritious pancakes and start your day the healthy way?
Serving And Enjoying Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes
Get ready to indulge in the delightful flavors of Swedish oatmeal pancakes. This easy-to-follow recipe will guide you through the process of creating this delicious and nutritious breakfast option. Enjoy these scrumptious pancakes with your favorite toppings and savor every bite.
Swedish oatmeal pancakes are not only a delicious breakfast option, but they can also be enjoyed any time of the day. The fluffy texture combined with the nutty taste of oats makes them simply irresistible. When it comes to serving and enjoying these pancakes, there are several ways to elevate your culinary experience.
Let’s explore some enticing options:
Pairing With Fresh Fruits And Berries
To add a burst of freshness and natural sweetness to your Swedish oatmeal pancakes, pair them with a variety of fresh fruits and berries. Here are some delectable combinations to consider:
- Sliced bananas: Drizzle some honey over the pancakes and top them with a generous amount of sliced bananas. The creamy texture and subtle sweetness of bananas complement the nutty flavor of the oatmeal perfectly.
- Mixed berries: Create a colorful and vibrant plate by mixing together an assortment of fresh berries such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. The tangy and juicy berries will complement the pancakes, providing a delightful contrast of flavors.
- Apple compote: Simmer diced apples with a touch of cinnamon, sugar, and lemon juice to create a flavorful compote. Spoon the warm apple compote over the pancakes for a cozy and comforting breakfast experience.
Delicious Toppings For Added Flavor
If you want to take your Swedish oatmeal pancakes to the next level, try experimenting with various toppings. Here are some mouthwatering options that will enhance the flavor profile:
- Nut butter and honey: Spread a generous layer of your favorite nut butter, such as almond or peanut butter, on top of the pancakes. Drizzle with a swirl of honey for a rich and delightful combination of flavors.
- Chocolate ganache: Indulge your sweet tooth by drizzling a decadent chocolate ganache over the pancakes. The velvety smoothness of the ganache paired with the nuttiness of the oatmeal pancakes will create a truly heavenly breakfast treat.
- Whipped cream and maple syrup: For a classic and irresistible combination, top the pancakes with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and a generous drizzle of maple syrup. The creamy sweetness of the whipped cream perfectly complements the natural flavors of the pancake.
Perfect Accompaniments, Such As Yogurt Or Maple Syrup
To make your Swedish oatmeal pancakes even more delightful, consider serving them with complementary accompaniments. Here are some suggestions to elevate your pancake experience:
- Greek yogurt: Serve a side of creamy and tangy Greek yogurt alongside the pancakes. This adds a refreshing element to your meal and provides a creamy contrast to the fluffy texture of the pancakes.
- Maple syrup: Enhance the natural sweetness of the pancakes with a generous pour of maple syrup. The rich and distinct flavor of maple syrup pairs exceptionally well with the nutty taste of the oatmeal.
- Crispy bacon: If you enjoy a savory twist to your breakfast, serve the pancakes alongside some crispy bacon. The combination of the crunchy bacon and the fluffy pancakes creates a delightful contrast of textures and flavors.
These serving and enjoyment ideas will take your Swedish oatmeal pancakes to the next level. Whether you opt for fresh fruits, delicious toppings, or perfect accompaniments, each bite will leave you craving for more. So go ahead, whip up a batch of these delectable pancakes, and savor each mouthful to experience a true culinary delight.
Frequently Asked Questions About Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes
Learn all about Swedish oatmeal pancakes with this helpful FAQ guide. Discover the secrets to making the perfect fluffy pancakes packed with nutritious oats, whether they can be frozen, and tips for serving them with delicious toppings. Start your day right with this delightful recipe.
Can I Make The Batter The Night Before?
Making the batter for Swedish oatmeal pancakes the night before can be a convenient time-saving option. Here are a few things to consider:
- Yes, you can make the batter the night before and store it in the refrigerator. This allows the oats to soak longer, resulting in a softer and more flavorful pancake.
- Be sure to cover the batter tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container to prevent it from drying out or absorbing any odors from the refrigerator.
- When you’re ready to cook the pancakes, give the batter a quick stir to ensure it’s well combined before pouring it onto the griddle.
Can Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes Be Frozen?
If you want to make a big batch of Swedish oatmeal pancakes and have leftovers, or if you simply want to prepare them in advance for later use, freezing is a great option. Here’s what you need to know:
- Yes, Swedish oatmeal pancakes can be frozen. Allow them to cool completely before freezing to avoid moisture buildup and sticking.
- To freeze pancakes, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until firm, usually about 2 hours. This prevents them from sticking together when stored.
- Once firm, transfer the pancakes to a freezer-safe bag or container. Make sure to remove as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn.
- Pancakes can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- When you’re ready to enjoy them, thaw the pancakes in the refrigerator overnight or in the microwave on a defrost setting. You can also reheat them in a toaster or toaster oven.
How Do I Adjust The Recipe For A Larger Batch?
If you’re cooking for a larger group or simply want to make more Swedish oatmeal pancakes, adjusting the recipe is quite simple. Here’s what you need to do:
- Double or triple the ingredients listed in the recipe to increase the batch size. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of rolled oats, use 2 cups for a double batch or 3 cups for a triple batch.
- Make sure to use a larger mixing bowl to accommodate the increased amount of batter.
- Adjust the cooking time accordingly. Since you’ll be cooking more pancakes at once, you may need to slightly increase the cooking time to ensure they are cooked through and evenly browned.
- It’s always a good idea to test cook a small pancake before making the entire batch to make sure the consistency and flavor are to your liking.
Can I Use Instant Oats Instead Of Rolled Oats?
In a pinch or if you prefer a smoother texture, you can substitute instant oats for rolled oats in Swedish oatmeal pancakes. Here’s what you should know:
- Yes, you can use instant oats instead of rolled oats in this recipe. However, keep in mind that the texture of the pancakes will be slightly different.
- Instant oats are more finely processed than rolled oats, which means the pancakes will have a smoother texture and may not hold together as well.
- When substituting instant oats, use the same amount as called for in the recipe. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of rolled oats, use 1 cup of instant oats.
- It’s worth noting that the taste of the pancakes may be subtly different when using instant oats, but they will still be delicious and nutritious.
Now that you have answers to common questions about Swedish oatmeal pancakes, you’re ready to try this delectable recipe and enjoy a wholesome and hearty breakfast. Get your spatula ready and start flipping those fluffy oatmeal pancakes onto your plate!
Frequently Asked Questions Of Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes Recipe
What Is The Difference Between Swedish Pancakes And Regular Pancakes?
Swedish pancakes are thinner than regular pancakes, made with less flour and more eggs.
What Is A Swedish Pancake?
A Swedish pancake is a thin and delicious breakfast dish made with flour, sugar, milk, and eggs. It is typically served with jam or berries.
Why Do My Oat Pancakes Fall Apart?
Oat pancakes can fall apart due to too little binding ingredient or insufficient cooking time.
Why Are Oatmeal Pancakes Good For You?
Oatmeal pancakes are good for you because they are packed with fiber and nutrients.
To sum up, these Swedish oatmeal pancakes will be a delightful addition to your breakfast routine. With their unique combination of oats and spices, they offer a hearty and nutritious start to your day. Whether you’re looking for a healthy alternative to traditional pancakes or simply want to try something new, this recipe is worth a try.
The use of simple ingredients and easy-to-follow steps makes it accessible to anyone, regardless of their cooking skills. By incorporating these pancakes into your diet, you can enjoy the benefits of oats, such as improved digestion and sustained energy levels.
So why not give it a go and make these delicious Swedish oatmeal pancakes a regular feature on your breakfast menu? Your taste buds and body will thank you.